From ServiceMagic to HomeAdvisor, our relationship has been long and effective!
We’re happy to have reached our 10-year mark doing business with HomeAdvisor (previously known as ServiceMagic)! This web-based referral service connects homeowners with pre-screened service providers.
We hear a lot of contractors complain about sites like this. From our experience, it’s been a great way to match our services to customers. Like any tool, users must set it up and maintain it to be effective. We never recommend contractors depend on only one source to find customers. Used correctly, such services can be an effective part of a company’s overall marketing plan.
Here are three recommendations for contractors considering a referral service:
- Update your profile regularly. Adding new projects and photos periodically gives customers plenty of chances to see exactly what you do.
- Be very specific about the services you offer, and keep the number limited. Checking too many services can result in lots of expensive referrals for jobs you may not relish!
- Request reviews from each and every customer. Independently screened reviews raise your credibility and help you improve the way you do business.
We highly recommend HomeAdvisor to homeowners, for three main reasons:
- There is no cost to you. Contractors pay for each estimate request as it comes in.
- The service pre-screens all contractors to be licensed and insured. NOTE: before hiring any company we still recommend asking for references and license/insurance verification.
- You can see project photos and independent reviews before hiring.
We look forward to many more years of successful partnership between Martin & Calloway and HomeAdvisor. It has worked for us, and with good planning and attention it may help you, too!